Highlights of the workshopAugust 21, 2008
The library’s building committee met on Monday with architect Del Wilson to review the Workshop Summary Book.
I’m delighted to report that the findings detail that our library’s program needs will be able to be met well into the future at the Dwight Foster Public Library with smart planning. Here are a few highlights of the report:
- The library expansion project will remodel the existing 21,000 square feet and add 12,000 square feet resulting in a final building size of 33,000 square feet.
- The children’s department will be located on the main floor in the new space.
- The lower level of the existing library will serve as the main floor in the evolving plan.
- The exterior archtiecture, while not copying the original building, will be respectful of its historic context.
- The main entry will be relocated where it can become a “grade level” entry without exterior steps or ramps.
- Adquate parking is available in adjacent municipal lots and on street.
- The project cost is estimated at $5.5 million (in 2009 dollars.)
If you are interested in seeing the Workshop Summary Book, please contact me. It provides more detail about how the decisions were made and illustrates the ways the programmatic plan will fit into the 33,000 square feet.
We are continuing to move step by step through the process and will report our progress. It’s an exciting time! Each decision moves us one step closer to writing the next chapter for our community’s library.
Stay tuned! We’ve got more work to do…